What Is the Master Gardener Volunteer Program?
The Master Gardener Volunteer Program provides intensive training in horticulture to interested gardeners who then volunteer their time assisting with educational programs and activities for Ohio residents through their local Ohio State University Extension county office. You may have even seen our flyer around the community (check it out). Feel free to print it and share it with your friends. And for more information on Master Gardener Volunteers, click here.
Master Gardener Volunteer Training:
Applications will be accepted through September 1 with training to be scheduled at a later date. The classes include but are not limited to: botany, entomology, woody ornamentals, native plants and pollinators. The program encompasses more than 50 hours of class room instruction and 50 hours of volunteer activities.
Master gardener volunteer application process:
1. Print and read the Master Gardener Volunteer Position Description and Policy Statement to be sure this is the correct volunteer opportunity for you.
2. Complete the volunteer application, including 3 references, mail to: OSU Extension Pike County Office, Attn: Dirk Dempsey, 313 Mill Street, Piketon, OH45661
Please note that the class size is limited. Trainees will be selected based upon the completed application, their availability and willingness to complete the training along with volunteer requirements. Those who have met the application requirements will be contacted to schedule a face to face interview. This interview will determine your acceptance in to the volunteer training program.
3. Mandatory Orientation meeting: A mandatory orientation meeting will be held before classes begin. At that time, you will receive your class schedule, MGV manual and complete the required OSU paperwork. Additonal Information will be given to complete your required background check. Payment will be due in full at this time.
4. Complete the formal training provided by The Ohio State University Extension.
5. Complete 50 hours of volunteer time on projects pre-approved by the Master Gardener Coordinator. This volunteer time must be finished within one calendar year after their formal training.
Contact Dirk Dempsey: 740-289-4837 or email@example.com